Wednesday, March 23, 2011

How I taught my grandmother to text. And other stories.

I recently bought a shiny new phone. It's a smart (ass) phone which I'm completely stuck onto these days. I log in and out of Facebook (so as not to seem completely jobless), I play Angry birds all day long (you really should check it out), I shoot arrows at humans who are tied with a noose and save (yes, save) them, I play tic-tac-toe for hours and also play around with my very cute and a little annoying pet ostrich called Joe.
So here I was, coming home after a long and exhausting fifteen hour day in college , with this new phone in my hand. I had assignments and submissions that were screaming for my attention. I sat at my desk. Deep breath. Looked around. Opened the first page. Wrote one whole line. Looked at my phone. No. Will write at least one assignment . Or maybe just find out what this friend is up to. Unlock. Messages. Type type type..type type type..giggle..smiley. Silence. Silence. Bing Bing. Vibrate. New message. Open message. Click click.. Smirk. Reply...Type Type Type..
" Nice way of passing the time na?" Oops. Mom? Nah. Grandmom. Just saved.
"Okay, No problem. If you don't mind, I'll just rest my legs here. So tired after today" She said.
"Sure" I replied easily, already in the middle of another message. I typed for a while. This one friend said that she got admission in a nice university abroad. Congratulations. Another friend texted saying a girl from my college passed away today while driving to college in a freak accident. Shudder. Sympathy. Silence. A reminder from a girl in my class. Money for Seniors' farewell due tomorrow. Another message . Unknown number. Ditch. New message. Rajnikant forward. No thank you. One new message....

Silent cough. I look around. I'd forgotten my grandmother was still in the room. I expected her to be fast asleep by then, but she was very much awake, wide eyed and excited. "Are you messaging on your mobile phone?" she asked. I said I was. She got up and went and opened her bag, looked for something in it, shuffled around some things in it and finally drew out a small Christmas stocking-ish purse from it. She placed it in front of me. I stared at it. She took out her cell phone from it . It was a simple LG mobile . Nothing fancy. Nothing new. She looked at it with pride and her cheeks turned red. She said " Can you teach me how to do that? Send messages?" She looked so cute, I thought, with her light pink Saree and her white hair tied carefully at the back. She held out her wrinkled hand , and in that nervy hand was the handset. Her eyes twinkled and shone . Hopeful and expecting eyes are such a wonder to look at. She looked slightly taken aback at herself for having actually asked me that. Man, you don't say no to people who look like that.
I took her hand , her phone and sat on my bed . I switched on the phone. I showed her the options. We had to wait until she went and found her glasses. After she found them, I took her to the menu. Call options..Alarm clock..Calculator..Phonebook..And finally. Messaging.

Now the thing is, this cute little thing called my grandmother is going away on a Europe Tour next month. Along with her cousin sister. I can almost see the photos clicked at the Eiffel Tower. Bright yellow Sarees, and white sport shoes. So anyway, she always answered calls on her phone and made calls from her phone. But that is all she ever did. Recently it occurred to her that it would be kind of cool if she could message us something like , "Hello, reached London safely". For which she needed to message . Which was why we were gathered there, that time.
I told her about the symbol of messaging. A big white envelope. I showed her the right button to accept and the left button to go back. Then came the lengthy process of explaining how to type a message. Deciding that the dictionary mode would be too much to handle, I decided to teach her the normal text. Non-t9. So here, c will come after pressing a thrice. Press the button the number of times in order of the letter. I showed her how to. I typed a message. She look impressed, and a little worried. I handed the phone to her. It took a while. She kept missing the right button so that the whole thing would just refuse to budge. There were certain moments where I saw she was not finding this easy or encouraging. In the end she finally got the letter writing , I was trying to explain. Now,she said, she needs to write all the procedure down so that she could revise. Okay. Pen and paper were provided. She sat with me and we went through everything again.. Menu-Options-Messaging-Type message-Text message-Type-Select-Select recipients-Add number-Select-Okay-Send.
She wrote everything down serially, drawing symbols and making notes wherever needed. Then she read what she had wrote and was satisfied to try it out now.
We never really see our education like this , do we? As a need? A necessity? To satisfy our curiosity? To take notes on our own and to revise them for our sake. To make sure that we know. WE keep up with the world. There is no need for her to learn how to do this, is there? But she had explained once, that if one isn't inquisitive enough then that should be the end of his growth. I tried to remember when was the last time i put everything I had into my work. To make myself feel happy. When was the last time you achieved a sense of accomplishment because you did something for yourself? Something that you probably didn't want to learn. Was too difficult to. But something you felt like you should do. I looked at her. Her tiny body hunched up and her brow wrinkled in concentration and hard work. Here was a winner.
I smiled and no longer tired, left the room for a glass of water. I took my phone along with me and just as i left the room, it beeped. New message.
"Hello, reached London safely." 

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Nicely written..I have almost forgotten learning for the sake of learning...

Amruta said...

We all have. Imagine our grandchildren teaching us something that hasn't even been invented yet. I wish I can be curious enough for my sake to learn whatever they teach me. I hope I have that much drive left in me.

Vin Kulkarni said...

i had a similar experience with grandpa last summer :D nicely written as always, amya :)

Unknown said...

adorable is the only word which describes her...awesome..

Unknown said...

grt one...n nice descriptions:-)...brought back few memories wd grandparents! cheers...!

Amruta said...

Thank you everyone. Grandparents are the cutest things around aren't they? That is the exact reason why this was such a fun experience to write about . Because all of us have taught them fancy things. But they learn. Endlessly. And they want to.

feardiablo said...

These small moments in life should be cherished. Also wonderfully written.